I have started to become somewhat of a grilling addict lately. It all began when I discovered my love for eggplant a few years ago, and I smoke them on my green egg now just about every chance I get. The only part that is a pain about grilling is the fact that I don’t own a gas grill, so it always takes a little longer to get my green egg going. I don’t mind the process necessarily, I actually find the whole idea of grilling and sitting outside in my yard therapeutic, but it does take time (especially when I am just grilling for the two of us). That is why I am sooooo excited that Albert’s mom introduced me to this small Middle Eastern bbq grill, and I can’t wait to show you how to make these 6 ingredient grilled chicken kebabs!
A Mangal is the Middle Eastern name for barbeque, and what you call the grill itself. It’s a small grill (at least the one I’m talking about is), typically used for kebabs, usually set on the ground, and doesn’t come more than about 2 feet high. It is SO easy to cook with – I just throw some charcoal in it, light it with my looflighter, and throw whatever I want to cook on it. First, I smoke some eggplant while it begins to heat up (recipe for that is here). Then comes the fun part. You can either take a grilling basket and and cook your meat/veggies, or, use these skewers and make the recipe I am about to show you :).
I really wanted to tell you guys where you can buy one of these grills, but I had a hard time finding them online. The closest I could find was at this website here. I would try to find a local Middle Eastern food market in your city though, they should for sure carry them (the bbq shouldn’t cost more than $35). I live in Houston and found mine at Jerusalem Halal Meat Market. Ever since I got my bbq, I have literally been cooking on it every day after work :).
On top of this recipe being SO healthy and easy, the flavor of the chicken after being roasted on the coals is beyond amazing. I love the slight char the grill gives the meat, and the chicken remained really juicy.
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1, 5 oz. container of plain green yogurt (you can use nonfat or regular)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- Prepare and light your grill (I prefer the taste of charcoal grills).
- Combine the greek yogurt, lemon juice, and spices, mixing well. Place the chicken and all ingredients into a ziploc bag, and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Next, place the chicken on skewers and lightly salt. Set your skewers on your grill, and cook on medium heat. Cook about 4 minutes on each side, until the chicken is charred and cooked through. Remove the skewers from the heat and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with hummus and pita, or on a bed of rice!