Ever since I can remember I have been eating boudin. I was 4 years old, sitting in my baby pool in Hathaway, LA with boudin in one hand and my grandma’s oyster crackers in the other. I was spoiled beyond words when it came to food growing up, my mother used to make fresh batches of gumbo, puree, & then freeze it in ice-cube trays and serve to my brother and I…. so yea, I have a deep inclination towards southern food and it’s what I know and do best.
I am ALWAYS searching out great boudin but I’m disappointed most of the time, as I said, I grew up on the best of the best. So, for all you fellow boudin lovers out there here is my guide to the best boudin I have tasted, and feel free to chime in if I left something out! I have also included a few from some trusted sources!
- Boudin King, Hathaway LA – It’s not just nostalgia speaking because my family is from there, this is one of the best boudins I have ever had. I stop here every time on my way through Louisiana. Get the spicy!!!
- Best stop, Scott LA – Killer fried boudin balls, be sure to grab 20 more napkins than you think you need.
- Johnson’s Boucaniere, Lafayette LA – Just discovered this one, the boudin is serious.
- Sonnier’s Sausage & Boudin, Lake Charles LA – UNREAL, one of the best boudins I have had which is a tough feat.
- Don’s Specialty Meats, Scott LA – Also has some pretty unreal fried boudin balls, right up there with Best Stop. Again, grab at least 20 more napkins than you think necessary.
- Pete’s Fine Meats, Houston TX – Best boudin I have found so far in Houston.
- Burts Meat Market, Houston TX – Tied for best in Houston in my opinion – amazing boudin, licked the plate clean.
- Nick’s Grocery, Port Arthur TX – I have been told this is a must!
Honorable Mentions From Friends
- Kitchen 713, Houston – I was told is making some pretty awesome boudin, have not tried but I trust the source :)!
- Guy’s Meat Market, Houston – I haven’t tried this one yet but I have been told it is up there with the best and worth trying.
- The Boudin Hut, Port Arthur TX
- Billy’s Boudin & Cracklin, Scott LA
- Nunu’s, Youngsville LA – I am also told this is MUST STOP HERE boudin shop!
- Herbert’s Specialty Meats, Houston TX
Nothing really can compare to my grandma’s house in Louisiana and the time we spend there, I think this is where my brother and I first began our obsession for food.
Photo Cred – Kay Bryan Aka my mom