I have always wanted to visit San Francisco – great food, amazing culture, Napa wine country, beautiful scenery – what’s not to love! We only had one weekend there so I really wanted to jam pack everything I could so we would leave feeling like we didn’t miss any of the sights. Being the foodie that I am, my first priority was restaurants and let me tell you… we definitely found my new favorite restaurant! Then…. there is Napa… with only one day to spend there we had to make sure we spent it right and I can honestly say I think we found Napa’s most gorgeous vineyard, hidden a little deeper into the Napa mountains, and the drive was DEFINITELY worth it.
I am such a nerd and always go ad nauseum researching a place before I go, and I definitely did this time – this is definitely not a complete list of things to do in San Francisco, BUT if you only have one weekend there, I think this list is pretty perfect.
Places to stay:
Hotel Vitale $$$$ – Gorgeous boutique waterfront hotel in the financial district, with amazing night time views of the Bay Bridge and perfect location. If you have the money to spend… I would absolutely recommend this hotel.
Westin Hotel on Market Street $$ – This is where we stayed. The value of this hotel is great – the rooms are spacious, really nice, and the location is right in the heart of the financial district. We were able to walk to China town (about a 15 min. walk) and down to the waterfront (about a 10 min. walk). Perfect hotel for the price.
Things to do:
– Chinatown – The largest Chinatown outside Asia, and the oldest in the country, it was really neat to see.
– Ferry Building Marketplace – Too many good things to say about this!! Most shops open at 10:00 am and there is everything from coffee and sandwiches to specialty meat, fish, cheese and even mushroom shops…. It’s a really really cool ESPECIALLY if you are a foodie J This was a highlight of the trip for me.
– Golden Gate Bridge – You can’t go to San Francisco and not make a point to see the bridge! The best views are from the Coit Tower.
– Napa Valley – If you only have one day to visit Napa, I recommend Kuleto Esatate Winery – the views were incredible, the wines were some of the best I’ve ever had, and the service was outstanding. Our guide Jonathan was so knowledgeable about wines, had a very generous hand during the tastings J Def. my other favorite part of the trip. He even paired the amazing wines with some great cheeses – the day couldn’t have been more perfect!
– Japanese Tea Garden @ Golden Gate Park – So beautiful! Located in the Golden Gate Park, the garden even has a little tea café in the center.
– Coit Tower – Amazing views of the city and Golden Gate Bridge (cash only!)
– Fisherman’s Warf – Beware…. This area is VERY touristy… we enjoyed seeing the seals and walking around on the waterfront BUT this area was packed with tourists… so it wasn’t my favorite part.
– Boulevard Restaurant – Make sure to make a reservation here about 2 weeks in advance – this restaurant is AMAZING, I promise you won’t be disappointed!
http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/ – AMAZING restaurant!!