We all have a bit of a nerdy side right? Well mine is pretty big…. luckily my boyfriend’s is too, so obviously when the greatest show ever finally premieres season 5, we have to throw an awesome watch party for it. We spent the entire Saturday buying meats from one of my favorite meat shops in Houston (Pete’s Fine Meats), and then ran to Costco and HEB for the other ingredients. We got everything from lamb, to quail eggs (AKA baby dragon eggs), to jerky ingredients, to candles that bleed. Then on Sunday…. we slow roasted the lamb for about 7 hours, made homemade jerky, and decorated like we were going on some TLC show for fanatics. It was nothing short of amazing so I had to share it all + the recipes!
I am so lucky I had someone stick with me from 9:30am to 8:30pm cooking and cleaning nonstop aren’t I?! Let’s start with the menu :).
First I downloaded the Game of Thrones font, yes that is a real thing, and then I made these suckers. They were pretty easy, I used the pages program on my mac and put the map in the background and menu font on top. Then I just printed the menus and burnt the edges. (Recipes coming up all this week!)
- The dragon eggs were sous vide quail eggs, courtesy of Albert.
- Theon Greyjoy’s Smoked Sausage (I fully expect half of you to cringe at this reference) – jalapeno, crawfish, and pork sausage
- Dornish Empanadas – AMAZING kosher empanadas courtesy of Mostly Chocolate Catering here in Houston – Albert’s mother’s business, she is one of the craziest, most amazing cooks.
- Baratheon’s Boudin – Boudin from Pete’s Fine Meats in Houston.
- Sansa’s Salad – An elegant beet and goat cheese salad, similar to my recipe here.
- Ned Stark’s Bone Marrow – bone marrow roasted and salted.
- The Imp’s Shrimp – BBQ shrimp.
- The Unics Balls (second cringe here) – Roasted and fried brussel sprouts.
- Iron Throne Leg of Lamb – Slow smoked Moroccan lamb on the green egg for 7 hours.
Unreal cheese courtesy of Dairy Maids here in Houston. They have some of the most amazing and unique cheese flavors – one with tea leaves on top, another with black truffle inside, etc etc. Only the best for my fellow GOT nerds.
For the table decor, I got everything from Michael’s pretty much. It was all really inexpensive, as they always have great coupons, I only spent about $30. I put burlap table runners down first, then layered with a rustic candle holder and black candle that bled, and put some moss around that. They also had some really pretty glass candle holders with rope around them that I bought, and placed switch light tea candles inside. I had a really cool skull already at home from Africa, but you can buy them here on eBay. I also bought from his store porcupine quills, which I used in the glass with candy (some people actually did poke themselves which gave me a good giggle). I used the vivino’s “The Wines of Game of Thrones” list, and paired with cheap wines (all around $6) from Trader Joe’s. I also bought small black rocks from Michael’s to put the “dragon eggs” on.
Did I mention we even had a Direwolf?
And of course, thanks to Vivino’s “The Wines of Game of Thrones” list, we did a wine pairing for all 6 regions from the show.
Hope this helps anyone in the future who wants to host an awesome Game of Thrones watch party!!